SSR_WW_Madness
Racing Team

n. "I like the way they went about putting together some tough at-bats,"

in Announcements / Ankündigungen Thu Sep 26, 2019 7:47 am
by sakura698 • 375 Posts

GLASGOW -- Chantal Petitclerc has watched the Maple Leaf go up to the sounds of O Canada countless times over her illustrious 20-year career as a wheelchair racer. Vapormax Günstig Kaufen . Monday afternoon, she wore the smile of a proud parent when the Canadian team marched in for the traditional flag-raising ceremony at the Commonwealth Games athletes village. "Its really an amazing experience being here, watching the athletes getting ready," Petitclerc said. "Ive been retired six years now, so its enough distance to actually know what its like, but not wanting to be there myself because Ive done it, but really wishing the best for all of them." The 44-year-old, who won 21 Paralympic medals including 14 gold, is Canadas chef de mission in Glasgow. She led some 100 Canadian athletes plus coaches and staff members into Mondays welcome ceremony. "Its a very new feeling for me, because as you know athletes can be very egocentric. So after 20 years of thinking about myself and my own performance, it is a great feeling caring and wanting the best for all the other athletes," Petitclerc said. Canada is fielding a team of 265 athletes for the Games, and those in attendance Monday, decked out in their white and red Canada T-shirts and white track pants, were all smiles as the Canadian flag was raised and O Canada played. Bal Gosal, Canadas sports minister, greeted the athletes with a handshake. The festive ceremony on a sun-drenched afternoon featured a performance by young singers and dancers, some with fiddles and guitars. Susan Nattrass, a veteran of six Olympics and now five Commonwealth Games, will carry Canadas flag into Wednesdays opening ceremonies. She took the opportunity to mingle with her teammates. "Its such an honour and you want to be very appreciative. And then you also really encourage everyone to enjoy it," Nattrass said. "Its fun. I was talking to the (lawn) bowlers today. And the rugby guys. Its really fun and its really interesting to see and meet with people and hear of their experiences." The athletes village, which sits in the shadow of Celtic Park -- normally home to Celtic FC soccer club and the venue for Wednesdays opening ceremonies -- was abuzz with athletes milling about at the nearby shopping area and hair and nail salon. "Were really excited. The village has been great -- feels like youre at home," said Kate Gillis, captain of Canadas womens field hockey team. The positive vibe was a departure from four years ago when organizers were still rushing to finish the athletes village -- amid complaints of unsanitary conditions -- and sports venues at the Games in New Delhi. An outbreak of norovirus, a highly contagious gastrointestinal illness, made headlines in Glasgow last week after 53 employees at the athletes village fell ill. But Glasgow officials said the virus was under control, and shut down a temporary toilet facility that was identified as the likely source of the bug. Preparation for Glasgow has been otherwise smooth sailing. There have been no grumblings about venue construction, tickets are sold out for many events, and the athletes have raved about the athletes village. The only minor concern has been about the weather in a country known almost as much for its soggy conditions as its Scotch and its shortbread. But there was no rain in sight Monday as temperatures reached 22 C. And the forecast is even brighter, calling for sunny skies and temperatures that could soar as 26 this week. The Games feature some 4,500 athletes competing in 17 sports over 11 days. Its the only fully integrated major Games, with 22 Paralympic events in five sports. Petitclerc, who carried Canadas flag into the opening ceremonies at the 2006 Games in Melbourne, Australia, won gold over 800 metres at the 2002 Games -- when Paralympic sports were given official status -- and then again in 2006. The welcome ceremony, she said, represented the "last countdown" before the athletes competitions begin. "So every athlete is really trying to focus on their event and getting a little bit of butterflies, so its a very important moment," she said. "At this point, physically, theres not much they can do except for resting, so it becomes a mental situation where youre really trying to find that good place in your head and just be good. "Thats how the village and the team is important because it can provide a home away from home." The Canadian teams goal is to reclaim its traditional spot among the top three in the medal table after finishing fourth four years ago in New Delhi behind Australia, England and host India. Canada claimed 76 total medals in 2010, including 26 gold, 17 silver and 33 bronze. Vapormax Großhandel . Joakim Nordstrom and Garret Ross also scored for Chicago and Corey Crawford made 30 saves. Tomas Tatar scored twice for Red Wings (2-3-0), Jonathan Ericsson added a goal and Gustav Nyquist had three assists. Vapormax Kaufen Schweiz . - The Oakland Athletics say they are stopping negotiations to extend their lease at the Coliseum. http://www.vapormaxkaufenschweiz.com/vapormax-damen-schweiz.html . -- Washington Redskins linebacker Brian Orakpo is going to the Pro Bowl as a replacement for San Francisco 49ers linebacker Ahmad Brooks. ST. LOUIS -- Mark Ellis knew that he might not see a whole lot of playing time when he signed a free-agent contract with the St. Louis Cardinals in December. "I figured theyd want me to come off the bench and Im fine doing that," he said. "I just want to be on a winning team." Ellis has gotten the best of both worlds. The 37-year-old infielder drove in two runs, including the go-ahead score with a bunt, and the Cardinals got a scoreless effort from their bullpen to beat the Philadelphia Phillies 5-3 Sunday. The Cardinals have won two in a row and seven of 10. Philadelphia has lost two straight after a season-high five-game winning streak. Ellis, who has received increased playing time due to injuries, broke a 3-all tie with a safely squeeze bunt in the fourth. He added an RBI single in the sixth. He is hitting .193 with 12 RBIs in 41 games. "We talked about it and the opportunity came up," he said of the bunt. "The ball up is an easier pitch to get that ball down. We were able to execute it." St. Louis manager Mike Matheny appreciates Ellis professional approach at the plate. "Two big at-bats," Matheny said. "Mark did a real nice job of getting that bunt down. He was thinking and really preparing ahead of time. Hes done a lot of good things in this game for a long time." Starter Carlos Martinez (1-3) allowed three runs over five innings. Martinez, who has 31 relief appearances, was making his second start of the season, replacing Michael Wacha in the rotation. "I just focused on throwing strikes, not throwing the ball so hard," Martinez said. "As a starter, Im learning to use all of my pitches." Nick Greenwood, Sam Freeman, Pat Neshek and Trevor Rosenthal combined for four innings of two-hit scoreless relief. Rosenthal got his 22nd save in 25 chances. Freeman struck out three in 1 2-3 innings. "I thought the pen was terrific, too," Matheny said. "Those guys are doing a good job getting through the game when our starters may not be able to go too deep." Cody Asche drove in all three Philadelphia runs with a bases-loaded doubble in the second. Nike Vapormax Damen Günstig. Asche, who grew up in nearby OFallon, was playing his first series in front of family and friends. "Its fun to step in and contribute," Asche said. "I wish we could have taken the last two games and completed the perfect road trip. But weve got some confidence." The Phillies won the first five games of the seven-game swing. Jimmy Rollins had a 15-game hitting streak snapped. Kyle Kendrick (3-7) allowed five runs and eight hits in six innings. He gave up just one hit over the first three innings before St. Louis scored four times in the fourth. "That one big inning hurt," Kendrick said. "They got some hits and I wasnt able to minimize the damage." Jon Jay got the inning going with an RBI single with the bases loaded. Jhonny Peralta followed with a tying, two-run single and Ellis bunted home the go-ahead run. "I like the way they went about putting together some tough at-bats," Matheny said. "Just nice consistent approaches at the plate, not trying to do too much." NOTES: The Phillies announced after the game that RHP Ethan Martin (0-0, 4.50) has been sent to Triple-A Lehigh Valley of the International League. RHP B.J. Rosenberg will be recalled. Rosenberg is 2-1 with a 2.63 ERA. Manager Ryne Sandberg said Martin just "needs to get some innings in."... Matheny had the No. 57 written on his left arm to honour former St. Louis pitcher Darryl Kile, who died 12 years ago Sunday. ... The Phillies begin an eight-game homestand Monday with the first of four games against Miami. Roberto Hernandez (3-5, 4.52) will face Nathan Eovaldi (4-3, 3.76) in the opener. ... St. Louis starts a 10-game road trip Monday with the first of three games in Colorado. Lance Lynn (7-5, 3.15) will take on Jhoulys Chacin (2-2, 4.65). ... The previous three St. Louis games prior to Sunday lasted exactly 2 hours and 48 minutes. This one took 2:54. ... St. Louis OF Matt Holliday hit in the No. 2 spot in the batting order for the first time this season. The Cardinals have used 11 different players in that slot this season. ' ' '

Scroll up

Member of

Network of Guilds,
Clans and Alliances

Visitors
0 Members and 2 Guests are online.

We welcome our newest member: Meena R
Board Statistics
The forum has 2049 topics and 2061 posts.

Visitor record: 149 users on Wed Mar 31, 2021 9:19 pm..

Xobor Einfach ein eigenes Xobor Forum erstellen